Unlike the 53cm oval shades, these shades have a relatively small aperture at the bottom, emphasising the shape of the shade. Wide but relatively shallow, these can work in a variety of spaces. Labour intensive to make it, but worth it!
- 75cm Diameter, 35cm High (approximately, there isn't a stretcher inside these shades)
- Shade only, if you like the cordset, it is available here
- These shades now attach directly to your pendant cord, you have a choice of a White or Black cord grip. These will work with any diameter flex/cable as long as it is round, not flat, and will work in any country
- Natural Mulberry Washi paper from Tokushima prefecture (see our Care Guide)
- Fushitani Shouten, made by hand in Nagoya, Japan
Fushitani san’s father started the company in 1962 after completing a traditional ten-year apprenticeship. This family company keeps using traditional techniques and materials but also seeks to innovate. They have developed new styles of chōchin (Japanese paper lights) like the double-layered shades and sectioned shades.
For Fushitani san, tradition is innovation, accepting new challenges is a necessity for the future. His main motivation is introducing Japanese paper lampshades to overseas and connecting people in the world through his works. Half of his business is firmly in traditional Japan: making lamps for temples and restaurants, but the other half is making modern paper lamp shades for both the domestic and overseas market.