This shade uses the Unryu paper - slightly thicker and whiter than the Kozo paper with less visible flecks. But when the light is on, the long, curling fibres bring the shade to life.
- 45cm Diameter, 45cm High (approximately)
- Shade only, if you like the cordset, it is available here
- Hangs with a black metal bracket compatible with all UK/EU lampholders and most others including US E26 sockets
- Washi paper from Tokushima (see our Care Guide)
- Lamp shade made by hand at Fushitani Shouten in Nagoya, Japan
Fushitani san’s father started the company in 1962 after completing a traditional ten-year apprenticeship. This family company keeps using traditional techniques and materials but also seeks to innovate. They have developed new styles of chōchin (Japanese paper lights) like the double-layered shades and sectioned shades.
For Fushitani san, tradition is innovation, accepting new challenges is a necessity for the future. His main motivation is introducing Japanese paper lampshades to overseas and connecting people in the world through his works. Half of his business is firmly in traditional Japan: making lamps for temples and restaurants, but the other half is making modern paper lamp shades for both the domestic and overseas market.