A large 53cm Chōchin (Japanese paper light) casting a soft, dappled light, made from a navy blue hemp washi paper. Even though the paper looks as if it is almost made of lace, the long strong hemp fibres make it surprisingly resilient.
- 53cm Diameter, 46cm High (approximately)
- Shade only, if you like the cordset, it is available here
- These shades now attach directly to your pendant cord, you have a choice of a White or Black cord grip. These will work with any diameter flex/cable as long as it is round, not flat, and will work in any country
- Natural Washi paper from Tokushima prefecture (see our Care Guide)
- Fushitani Shouten, made by hand in Nagoya, Japan
Fushitani san’s father started the company in 1962 after completing a traditional ten-year apprenticeship. This family company keeps using traditional techniques and materials but also seeks to innovate. They have developed new styles of chōchin (Japanese paper lights) like the double-layered shades and sectioned shades.
For Fushitani san, tradition is innovation, accepting new challenges is a necessity for the future. His main motivation is introducing Japanese paper lampshades to overseas and connecting people in the world through his works. Half of his business is firmly in traditional Japan: making lamps for temples and restaurants, but the other half is making modern paper lamp shades for both the domestic and overseas market.