A beautiful double-layered 40cm Japanese handmade paper lamp shade (Chōchin), constructed from a fine white washi paper for the inside layer and brown Hishigoushi patterned sections for the exterior. How they get one shade inside another is a trade secret.
- 40cm Diameter, 40cm High (approximately)
- Shade only, if you like the cordset, it is available here
- Hangs with a black metal bracket compatible with all UK/EU lampholders and most others including US E26 sockets
- Washi paper printed in Gifu prefecture (see our Care Guide)
- Fushitani Shouten, hand- made in Nagoya, Japan
Fushitani san’s father started the company in 1962 after completing a traditional ten-year apprenticeship. This family company keeps using traditional techniques and materials but also seeks to innovate. They have developed new styles of chōchin (Japanese paper lights) like the double-layered shades and sectioned shades.
For Fushitani san, tradition is innovation, accepting new challenges is a necessity for the future. His main motivation is introducing Japanese paper lampshades to overseas and connecting people in the world through his works. Half of his business is firmly in traditional Japan: making lamps for temples and restaurants, but the other half is making modern paper lamp shades for both the domestic and overseas market.